Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Not content with hosting the UK Swap I've decided to join up to SP12 too. I love getting parcels. It's like Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one, with knitting related presents - even better!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love sock or lace weight yarn in natural fibres. I guess my favourite is probably Malabrigo, which I made my Mystery Stole from and I'm using for my Mr Greenjeans Cardigan.
As far as sock yarns go, I love Yarn Yard sock yarn and Lorna's Laces. In fact anything machine washable is good in my book.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I've got an amazing stand my bf made me for my wooden needles. I have a cupboard in the lounge with my current projects in. my crochet hooks are stored in a jam jar on the shelf in there - it works quite well.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
learnt when I was about 10 or so, knitted loads of soft toys in my early teens and then knit on and off for about the next 10 or so years, not really making it my hobby. I reckon I've been knitting solidly for about the last 3 years or so, since my friends started having babies to knit for. Probably about intermediate skill level.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, but linking to it doesn't seem to be working at the moment! Use my email address to find it.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I don't really do heavily scented things, probably lavender if I had to pick
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes! Malteasers and Green & Blacks chocolate for a bit of luxury.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I crochet and I am learning to sew. I also enjoy baking and gardening. I have tried spinning with a drop spindle once, but don't have any spinning equipment.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm a 1990's indie girl. Stuck in the days of Blur, Ash, Pulp, The Wonderstuff etc. Recently, most things on xFm like the Arctic Monkeys, Fratellis, Pigeon Detectives, The Courteeners and more chilled out stuff too like Scott Matthews. I *may* also be found at Take That/Robbie Williams and Wet Wet Wet concerts. oops.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Anything stripey. I love purple too. Anything not too pastel really.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my BF. No pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and hats.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, socks and more socks. I am getting really into lace knitting at the moment too.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks which I designed, a tank top for a 2 year old, a pair of knee high socks for a friend (which have kind of stalled) and a cardigan for me. I'm about to start on a Baby Surprise Jacket and Muir shawl.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, love them
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Addi turbos all the way, and my lovely wooden needles too.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a ball winder and a home made lego swift!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
March 2006 - a crocheted blanket.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, for the time off and presents.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Wool!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a subscriptions to Interweave Knits, Interweave Crochet and Yarn Forward. I love sock yarn, you can never have too much, but prefer machine washable in solid or semi solid colours. I'd love some laceweight yarn too; again in solids or semi-solids.
My knitting book wants are in my Amazon list, and you can see what I want to knit from my Ravelry Queue.
I would love to get the Barbara Walker Treasuries, I think these will be on my Christmas wish list. At the moment I have to go to the reference library and they only have book 2!
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Intarsia and Fair Isle are the next things.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Oh yes. I knit socks on the bus and train on my commute into Birmingham every day. I am UK Size 6-7. I can give you more specific measurements if you want them.
23. When is your birthday?
18th may
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
rooknits

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ruth, when I go to your Amazon link, I get my own wishlist...

Something not quite right in the link?