Monday, October 22, 2012

More ripples, a cardigan and tiny socks.

Yet another blanket is in progress. This time I get to keep it, as it is for baby #2, due in a week.

I started this on the 8th October, so I doubt it will be finished in time for the new arrival - unless of course it delays it's arrival for a couple of weeks!
Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino again, this is what I planned when I started....

Ripple Blanket number 2

I am using Lucy of Attic 24's Neat Ripple Pattern again, but this time using the series of integrating stripes she used with her most recent ripple. Each set of 4 rows takes about 25g of yarn. The blanket is 10 repeats of the pattern using a 4mm hook.

More ripples

It has been growing slowly... as of 17th October
More Ripples

and then today, 22nd October
More ripples

I've changed the colour sequence a little, as I needed to buy a couple more balls of yarn (not enough gold/yellow to make a set of rows and it needed the yellow), but I should have more than enough to complete it now.

I'm still not great at project monogamy, so I've also been working on a little cardigan for our Jubilee year baby. Beyond Puerperium - 0-3m in fingering weight.
Jubilee cardigan for an Autumn baby

and some matching socks

Jubilee Baby Socks 

I've 20g of yarn left, so I reckon I can squeeze a hat out of the skein of sock yarn (The Yarn Yard Toddy in Jubilee). 

Monday, October 15, 2012

African Flower Blanket for Emily

My latest crochet baby blanket is an African Flower Blanket for baby Emily who arrived a few days late at the start of October.
African Flower Blanket
Once again, I have been inspired by the amazing palette of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino.
This time coming up with a variation on a rainbow - with hexagons rather than stripes or rounds.  I used about 25 different shades (mostly from my stash) plus cream for the flower part.
 African Flower Blanket
I started making this at the beginning of August and have been working on it on and off for a couple of months. Each hexagon took me about 30 minutes. The blanket is made up of 59 hexagons and  8 half hexagons.
I joined the hexagons as I went along, loosely using the instructions here and I  made up some half hexagons to fill in the ends on the 6 hexagon rows.

I added a border of double crochet followed by a round of shells (1dc, skip 1 (or two on the long side), 5 tc into next) -the shells were meant to mirror the insides of the flowers.

 African Flower Blanket

The blanket weighs 570g and measures  85cm x 100cm - large enough to wrap around my toddler - and hopefully big enough for my good friend Lauren and baby Emily to snuggle under on the sofa. 

Monday, October 01, 2012

The end is in sight

The end is in sight by RooKnits
The end is in sight, a photo by RooKnits on Flickr.

One more hexagon to go