This is the result of another project that has been in my head for a long time. Every little boy needs a burnt orange sweater don't they?
I made an Owlet sweater in December 2009; which ended up too small for its intended recipient who was nearly 2 and ended up being gifted for a 1st Birthday. I loved the finished item, but didn't really want to knit one in anything thicker than aran weight, and the pattern calls for chunky yarn in the larger sizes. So, I hatched a plan. I found some perfect Easyknits Deeply Wicked DK in the colourway "Tangelo" at Fibre Flurry in October. I bought 3 skeins and used two.
I measured Thomas' current favourite jumpers, swatched and did some maths and came up with a plan.
I cast on 120 stitches to give me an approx 24" chest. I lengthened the yoke by adding a few rows before and after the owls.
I also made the sleeve cuffs long, in the hope that this may still fit next winter. (Fingers crossed!)
18 Owls in total. Buttons for eyes on the front only (as that is all I had - but I think it works.)
I could perhaps do with a few more neck decreases - but I wanted to make sure it would fit easily over Thomas' head.
Perfect with a pair of brown cords on Christmas morning for that 70's retro look :o)