Monday, August 15, 2011

Making Monday - Fruit time

This week has seen me starting to collect the fruit from the gardens and allotment.
I came home from the allotment with a few blackberries and a handful of tiny yellow plums. These were joined by some damsons and a couple of pears from my FIL; and some raspberries from the canes at the bottom of my garden.

Now, what to do with this random assortment of fruit. There wasn't enough of any one thing to do anything useful; so I stewed it all together with a tiny bit of sugar and ended up with some kind of tart fridge jam

IMAG0049.jpg

It seemed like it would be the perfect filling for a cake. So I spent yesterday perfecting my sponge recipe. I have 8" cake tins, and a normal sponge recipe is never enough. Yesterday I used 4 eggs which weighed 270g. I used the same amount of butter, sugar and flour and it seemed to work perfectly.

Anyone for cake?

Now to find some friends to eat it.

7 comments:

CCK said...

Yum, that would go really well with my cuppa tea this morning...

Rubybamboo said...

Lovely deep sponge, yum!

Scarlettina said...

That looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

yummmmm!

I always do that with sponge cakes, weigh the eggs, the results are more consistent. I have to say that your sponge looks superb!!

Sarah said...

Excellent idea, weighing the eggs. So, have you thought about getting your own chickens?

Nic said...

Yum! I've just blogged about my runny jam. It would be fab in your cake..I might have to try it tomorrow.

formatii nunti said...

In my opinion this looks like a delicious recipe and i think that it is not so difficult so i will try it very soon. I will post again after i will try it, thanks for sharing.