Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Wedding Shawl Swatches


A quick reminder of the detailing on my dress

















Now for the swatches -
Top Right - Zephyr Laceweight in White on 3.5mm needles
Top Left - Posh Yarn Charlotte, undyed on 3.5mm needles
Bottom Left - Zephyr Laceweight in White on 3.25mm needles
Bottom Right - Posh Yarn Charlotte, undyed on 3.75mm needles

Aeolian Shawl Swatches
A close up of the Zephyr on 3.5mm -
Aeolian Shawl Swatches
The Zephyr on 3.25mm
Aeolian Shawl Swatches
Posh Charlotte on 3.75mm
Aeolian Shawl Swatches
Posh Charlotte on 3.75mm
Aeolian Shawl Swatches
Close up of the beads - top are purl like, bottom are clear
Aeolian Shawl Swatches
Close up of a mixture of the beads
Aeolian Shawl Swatches

Decisions decision. The posh yarn has more definition but is probably too cream. The Zephyr seems to be a much better colour match, although I haven't held it next to the dress yet. The Zephyr on smaller needles seems to define the pattern more
The beads on the dress are clear, so I think I am going to go for the clear beads on the shawl. These seem to sparkle a bit more too. So Zephyr on 3.25mm with clear beads seems to be the way forward. What do you think? Should I go down to 3mm in the Zephyr and see what happens?

7 comments:

Kate said...

Before you said anything, I thought the Zephyr was the better match - from the photos, at least.

I like clear beads. They photograph really badly compared to the other ones, but they do look nicer "in the flesh" and hopefully you'll have lots of sunshine on your big day so that they sparkle lots. :-)

Spinningfishwife said...

Yes,I agree...I thought the white Zephyr on the smaller needles looked best too.

Danielle said...

I don't think you need to go down any smaller with your needles. The 3.25mm give a great contrast to the fabric.

The clear beads don't photograph well, but I've really liked them when I've used them myself.

Flossie in Stitches said...

I agree with all of the above. And I think it's all going to look STUNNING! Can't wait to see pics of the big day! x

Anonymous said...

Zephyr, but I like the not-clear beads. They look less plasticky (sorry).
Could you get tiny pearl beads instead?

Linda said...

Yes, agree with you!

Special Sauce said...

I agree about the white zephyr- beautiful. (And funny- I've just started my own Aeolian to wear for my own wedding next year, in a cream zephyr with pinkish beads...)