Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Running Kites

It's my birthday on Sunday, so time to roll out a birthday competition.
However, I'm going to stray away from knitting for this one.
This week I have read a book. Not really that amazing you might say, but I realised it is only the second book I've read all year. I used to devour at least one book a week when I lived in London. I started knitting on the way to work because I was buying far too many books (the library was never open when I was home). Then I moved house and the library was next door and I went a bit more often. Since I moved back to Wolverhampton I've hardly read anything, too busy knitting on the train and the bus. I've been to Central Library in Brum a few times, but never found my way to the fiction section. On Monday "The Kite Runner" practically jumped off the shelf into my hand. It's a book I've wanted to read for ages, it was on 7 day loan, so I knew I had to start straight away. I finished it at lunchtime today. I cried on the bus this morning reading it, I stayed up far far far too late last night reading it. So, if you haven't read it, I thoroughly recommend it.
So now to the competition... That book has put me right back in reading mood. What should I read next? The only other book I've read this year is "On Chesil beach" Ian McEwan. My book reading list at the moment consists of only "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.
Now for a prize, I'll stick to knitting for this one.
You can choose from either 2 skeins of Natural Dye Studio Merino sock wool.
sock yarn 015
Or a Skein of Colinette Jitterbug in Gaugin
jitterbug 001
Leave me a comment on this post and tell me what books you've enjoyed recently and what you think is should read next. I'll put all the commenters in a hat and draw out a winner next Wednesday at about 9.30pm.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Time Traveller's Wife' is a good one!

I recommed 'The Line of Beauty' by Alan Holinghurst.

And 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clark.

Mostly, though, I enjoyed a German book. It's available in English. It's called 'The City of Dreaming Book' and it's by a chap called Walter Moers. It's really imaginative and has pretty illustrations. It's great for bibliophiles, with lots of book-in-jokes and bookisms :)

Tell you what, I'll link you to my 'read' list :)

http://ossianknits.typepad.com/ossianknits/books-read.html

Alicia said...

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Eleanor Atwood

Roobeedoo said...

I was going to say the Time Traveller's Wife too!
But stretching the definition of "recently" I would recommend White Teeth by Zadie Smith if you haven't already read it.

Anonymous said...

Just finished The Kite Runner myself, haven't read such a good book for a while. Prior to that I read The Knitting Circle which although lighter reading in many ways it still brought tears to my eyes, very enjoyable.

Linda said...

The Island by Victoria Hislop. I love to read but sometimes it just isn't a priority to the knitting!

Bryony Ramsden said...

Oooh I loved the Kite Runner, and Time Traveller's Wife. That's beautiful that one :)

I've got so many good books I don't know where to start, but I second anything by Margaret Atwood.

Also the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver is fantastic. As is Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (you probably already know that one though). And I love lots of Jeanette Winterson, but the Passion is excellent and accessible. And A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth is one of my absolute faves.

Oh, and if you fancy something a bit different try something by Magnus Mills. He's amazing at making the mundane strange and interesting :D

Anonymous said...

I don't tend to have a great deal of time left for bookreading either.

Can I cheat a recommend a knitting themed bok. The Yarn Harlot's new book, Things I learned form Knitting, is faboulous, funny, sweet and oh-so-true. I'm already re-reading it. I think it's only available through Amazon though (not in my local borders, but non of the Harlot's books are).

Suse said...

I will second The Time Traveller's Wife and also The Poisonwood Bible.

But for something new I'll recommend 'Bel Canto' by Ann Patchett. Really unusual and beautiful.

picperfic said...

thank you for the comment on my blog! I have just bought the Kite Runner, I have longed to read it for ages but I haven't been able to read a book from start to finish until I went on my honeymoon. The book I read was 'Remember Me' by Sophie Kinsella...a lovely story and a good light-hearted read!

Ling said...

I love the Time Traveller's Wife. My best read of 2007.

I too, have no time to read. I've read very few books this year. But I loved The Memory Keepers Daughter. These are my 2 choices.

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife and can also recommend The House at Riverton, Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, and The Bone Garden, Body Double and The Surgeon by Tess Gerritson!

Happy Birthday for Sunday :))

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed The Time Traveller's Wife and can also recommend The House at Riverton, Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, and The Bone Garden, Body Double and The Surgeon by Tess Gerritson!

Happy Birthday for Sunday :))

dreamcatcher said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow!

I too read far fewer books now that I knit! Of the ones I have read in recent times I enjoyed Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, Postcards by Annie Proulx, and Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

Craftyfox said...

I would recommend any of Tracey Chevalier or to stay in the middle east 'Forbidden Love'by Norma.Khouri A shocking story of a courageous lady

on the needle said...

I have just read and loved the 'Thirteenth Tale' by Diane Setterfield, wonderfuly written and I had to go back and reread the final half of the book as I couldn't believe I hadn't seen the end coming!!
I can also recommend any of the early Jodi Picoults...My Sisters Keeper, the pact etc.

couthyquine said...

I recently read and loved The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. I would thoroughly recommend it! I also recently bought No Wonder I Take a Drink by Laura Marney (Scottish author who has had great reviews) but I can't comment on how good it is as I haven't started it yet!